Sunday, December 1, 2013

Just Hang'n On

O'Connor, BU hold off Cornell surge, win 3-2
Mike Moran jumps into the arms of Danny O'Regan
to celebrate his goal in the first period.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
With 1:27 left and BU up by a goal and down a man, it looked a lot like the 2009 version of Red Hot Hockey with the roles reversed slightly. If you recall, BU scored on a 6 on 4 with less than a minute left to tie that game at 3-3.

Cornell came within a few centimeters of copying that exact scenario, but instead a shot from the slot hit off Matt O'Connor's shoulder and then the crossbar and did not go in.

It was the definition of "just holding on."

BU got on the board in the first after getting heavily out-played. Danny O'Regan made an impressive effort to slide the puck over to a wide open Mike Moran. O'Regan almost knocked down and while falling, hit Moran with a pass that he one-touched into the goal. It was Moran's second of the year at 17:20 of the first.

BU managed just three shots on goal for the period and.... 11 total for the game. Needless to say, they made the most of their shots.

Robbie Baillargeon doubled the BU lead at 14:38 of the second on what looked to be a three on one. A Cornell defenseman forced Evan Rodrigues to go wide into the low circle. From what seemed to be behind the goal line, Rodrigues tucked a centering pass to Baillargeon through a crowd. Robbie was able to redirect the pass past Andy Iles for his 5th of the year.

By the end of the second, BU had been in the box five times. Cornell was not called for a single penalty until 1:52 into the third.

Less than a minute later, Nick Roberto finished off a beautifully set up power play. Matt Grzelcyk gave to Kevin Duane and Duane hit Roberto in tic-tac-toe form. Roberto one-timed home the pass for his fifth of the year, top shelf.
Captains Garrett Noonan and Patrick MacGregor raise the
new Kelley-Harkness cup after the game.
(Photo by Matt Dresens) 
It never seemed like BU was going to run away with this game. Their lack of offense and pressure left the door open for a Cornell comeback.

That comeback got started a little over a minute after the Roberto goal. Bruins draftee Brian Faerlin centered a pass that hit off Christian Hillbrich's skate in the crease. The puck banked in off the skate without a kicking motion and into the net for his third of the year.

Things got really interesting when Cole Bardreau put home his fourth of the year on a bang bang pass from John MacCarron. The pass hit Bardreau's stick and no sooner was the puck inside the far side of the net, past O'Connor. That made it 3-2 with 3:40 left.

O'Connor was clutch all night, but no more than he was in the final minutes.

BU again won Red Hot Hockey and are now 3-0-1 in the showcase.

Next weekend the Terriers will face Merrimack in a home and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment