Friday, January 27, 2017

Determined Warriors Sweep BU

It was another frustrating night for BU as a determined Merrimack team came into Agganis and finished off their first ever season sweep of the Terriers with a 4-1 win in front of 4,335 at the Greek.

Ryan Cook runs over Nik Olsson in the first period. Olsson
would not return from the hit.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
“The better team won tonight for sure,” said coach Quinn. “I thought we got off to a good start, looked like we were going to get back to the way we have been for a while. Then it looked like frustration set in. The whole game turned. As the game went on they became the more determined team. They worked harder.”

The teams traded power play goals in the first. Brett Seney scored his first of two on the night 6:25 into the frame on a quick release snapper from the low circle. The shot beat Jake Oettinger glove side high. That would be a reassuring theme for the carrier, as all four of their goals were to the netminder's glove side.

Less than two minutes later, Clayton Keller tied things up. From the near side dot, he hammered home his 11th goal of the year and extend his point streak to 12 games. Patrick Harper and Charlie McAvoy added assists on the play.

Seney notched the lone goal in the second frame before Michael Babcock scored shorthanded 5:11 into the third. He beat Patrick Harper in a foot race to a loose puck down low and then cut to the net before beating Oettinger on his left side.

“To me the shorthanded goal to me really summarized what happen in a nutshell,” added Quinn. “Our best players just got outworked and that changed the complexion of the game, really.”

Babcock wasn’t done. The sophomore and son of Maple Leafs’ Coach Mike Babcock wrapped up the scoring on a partial breakaway later in the third. He was able to get in behind Dante Fabbro on a long pass from John Lashyn at the far side blue line. From just inside the circle, Babcock again beat Oettinger glove side high.

“At one point the shots were 25-10 and we were doing a good job. Then frustration set in. We were lugging the puck instead of passing it. We got soft around the puck and cheated because it was 1-1,” said Quinn.

Nik Olsson was blasted in the opening period on a hit by Ryan Cook. The junior assistant captain was slow to get up and when he finally did, he put no weight on his right leg. Quinn mentioned that the injury was “not good,” but was not a knee injury. Olsson never returned.

The team has a quick turnaround. Lowell will be in town tomorrow night in a game that will inevitably have league ramifications as well as in the PWR.

No comments:

Post a Comment