Sunday, October 30, 2011

Nieto's OT Strike Caps BU Comeback

3:17 into the second overtime period period of the weekend, Matt Nieto scored his sixth goal of the season in as many games, lifting the Terriers to a 5-4 come from behind victory at Agganis.

The BU players and fans celebrate after 
Nieto's overtime goal.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Before Netio's OT winner, it looked like UMass was going to run away with this one. The Minutemen jumped out to an early first period lead. Steven Guzzo picked up the first of UMass' three first period goals. Minutes later, Troy Power scored his first collegiate goal on the power play. The goal was an absolute gift. BU defenseman Ryan Ruikka attempted to clear the puck by wrapping it around the glass. In the process, the puck deflected off a medal stanchion and found it’s way right on the tape of Power, who beat Rollheiser with ease.

With 30 seconds left in the frame, Conor Sheary potted his second goal of the weekend. Sheary picked Charlie Coyle's pocket right in the middle of the BU slot, where he ripped a wrister past Rollie high glove side.

UMass continued to carry the play through the mid-way point of period two. BU gained some much needed momentum after the killed off a 5 on 3 that lasted for about a minute.

Following the PK, BU got on the board with a great passing play. Corey Triovino picked up a UMass turnover, allowing him to set up Garrett Noonan on the far side. Noonan took a one-time wrist-shot which hit the water bottle inside the UMass goal, past goaltender Jeff Teglia.

Grant Rollhieser made 
29stops in his season 
debut.Here he plays the 
puck wellout of his 
crease while BU is
on a power play.
(Photo by 
Matt Dresens)

Less than a minute later, Sahir Gill banged home a loose puck on the far side past Teglia making it 3-2. BU dominated the remainder of the second frame and Garrett Noonan came within an inch of tying the game on a power play, but his shot hit the post and deflected into the corner.

A little over ten minutes into the third, BU tied the game with their Nation leading fourth shorthanded goal of the year. Matt Nieto and Charlie Coyle created a 2 on 1 with a UMass defender in the middle. Netio took the puck low, drawing the defender toward him, before slipping a pass to Coyle who slammed it into the net five-hole on Teglia.

Some good, hard, work led to the go-a-head goal for the Terriers. Chris Connolly won a battle in the far corner and then skated behind the UMass net, before whipping a pass over to Trivino who beat Teglia, while the UMass goaltender was well out of position.

To Umass' credit, they stayed in the game and came back to tie it themselves, while on a power play. With about five minutes left Mike Pereira put home a loose puck past Rollie's glove, knotting the game at 4-4.

2:49 into overtime, UMass’ Michael Marcue was called for cross checking as he dumped BU freshman Casson Hohmann on the near side boards.

The infraction ended up gravely costing UMass as Charlie Coyle set up Matt Nieto for an open shot. As said before, the sophomore forward won the game for BU on a shot that beat Teglia blocker side. This was BU's first overtime win since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving game at Harvard back in the 2009/10 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment