Friday, January 27, 2012

Maine Turns Out The Lights On BU

Tonight, Maine ended BU's five game win streak, topping the Terriers 4-2 in front of 5,066 at Agganis Arena. 

The first period was a struggle for both teams, as Maine and BU traded scoring chances for the first half of the frame. BU broke the ice on their suddenly hot power play at the 17:56 mark. Alex Chiasson put the Terriers up 1-0 on a beautiful passing play. Chris Connolly fed Wade Megan, who dished to Chiasson through traffic. Chiasson then clanked a shot off the post and into the net, behind Maine Goalie Dan Sullivan (28 saves). It was Chiasson's 8th goal of the season, and the lone goal for either team in the first period.

Maine evened the game on a power play of their own a little over five minutes into the season stanza. Adam Shemansky beat Kieran Millan (21 saves) five hole with just two seconds left on the man advantage.  About three minuets later, John Parker tossed a backhander past Millan, making it 2-1 Black Bears. In my opinion, this was a very weak goal allowed by Millan.  From My angle, it looked as if Parker shoveled a backhand shot up over Millan's shoulder. The shot was perfectly placed and seemed to surprised Millan.

Directly following the goal, a large section of lights at Agganis shut off and suspended play for about 15 minutes. 
Above sections 113, 114, and 115 the lights shut off
unexpectedly, creating a dark area on the ice. Clearly
the right side of the picture is what it looks like when the
lights are working normaly. To the left, that's where the lights
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
 After the black out, BU took over the pace of play for a long stretch of the second period.. Finally, after many good scouring chances Ross Gaudet evened the score 2-2. A rebound kicked around the crease and ended up behind the goal line, right of the cage. Gaudet, from behind the goal line, banked a shot off Sullivan's back and into the goal, for his third tally of the season.

Adam Clendening nearly put BU up 3-2, after he broke up a Maine passing play at the blue line and skated away on a shorthanded break a way. Sullivan made a great glove save, keeping the game tied.

The teams headed to the third period tied 2-2. 

At 9:55 of the third period, Wade Megan was called for a sketchy hooking call, giving one of the best power play's another opportunity. 12 seconds into the man advantage, Mark Anthoine tipped Spencer Abbott's shot past Millan and into the net, regaining the lead for Maine.

BU had a chance to tie things up in the closing minutes. Garrett Noonan had an open look at the top corner, but fired it high and instead of finding twine, he drilled the glass behind the goal, ending the scoring chance. 

Spencer Abbott sealed the game for the Black Bears, as he blocked Adam Clendening's shot from the point and skated in alone facing nothing but an empty net. Needless to say, he scored. 

*Injury Report* Freshman Defenseman, Alexx Privitera left the game midway through the first period with a wrist injury. He is undergoing testing tonight and may have suffered a broken wrist.

Tomorrow, the teams will go back at it, this time on national television (CBS College Sports) at 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment