Saturday, December 1, 2012

O'Connor, BU Tackle BC

Alexx Privitera attempts to block
Kevin Hayes' shot in the first period.
O'Connor made the follow up save.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
I said it after the North Dakota games and I'll say it again now: Wow, what a hockey game. From start to finish, it was pretty clear that these teams don't like each other.

That was never more prevalent than at the end of the scoreless first period. With one of the more heated brawls that the two teams have been involved in lately, capped off a very exciting period of hockey.

Even though no goals were scored, that's not to say there were not opportunities. Both goalies played well all night, but none better than in the first frame.

After countless scoring chances, BU finally found the back of the net midway through the second. Even Rodrigues cut to the middle of the slot where he unloaded a wrist shot. The shot was deflected wide where Wade Megan tossed a follow up bid on goal. Garrett Noonan ultimately banged home the goal, Peter MacArther style, as he hit the puck out of mid air at the top of the crease to give the Terriers the lead.

Kind of an interesting picture that I took of the first period
brawl at the end of the frame.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
BU took a 2-0 advantage exactly seven minutes later. Danny O'Regan quarterbacked the entire play after getting the puck from Matt Nieto. O'Regan skated into the BC zone, pulled up in the right wing circle and then dished a saucer pass over to Even Rodrigues who was flying into the zone. The pass was a bit behind Rodrigues, but the sophomore forward was able to corral the puck before torching Parker Milner high glove side. It was a perfectly placed shot.

38 seconds later, BC answered right back. Pat Mullane capped off a nice set up from Johnny Gaudreau and Stevan Whitney. Mullane's shot was a quick release lazer that beat Matt O'Connor glove side.

In the closing seconds of the second period, BU almost went up 3-1. (I think) Wade Megan ripped a shot that cleanly beat Milner off the crossbar on almost an identical play to the Rodrigues goal with about three seconds left.

BU did not have to wait long to get that third goal, though. Just 1:46 into the third Matt Grzelcyk burned Milner on a wrap a round. Grzelcyk got the puck from Wade Megan at the BC blue line. From there, Grzelcyk did the rest, taking the puck wide on a Boston College defender and eventually frombehind the net tucked the puck inside the post, behind Milner. It really seemed that Milner took a while to get off the far post, thus allowing Grzelcyk enough time to pull off the wrap a round.

BU's penalty kill played well throughout the game, but their strongest effort came in the latter stages of the third. Megan essentially put the game away with little over two minutes to play after he potted an empty net, short handed goal.

Johnny Gaudreau did score a 6 on 3 goal with 24 seconds left, but it was way too little way too late for the Eagles to pull off another one of their miracle comebacks.

Ben Rosen looked to have scored another empty net goal with about 19 seconds left, but the refs screwed up, allowing BU to play with four skaters, while they were still short two men from large scrum.

All in all, I thought this was BU's best all around game since 2009. The team really played as a team and Matt O'Connor was nothing short of brilliant in goal... Again.

BU finally won a game at home against BC, their first since 2009. Also, this is the first time since 2007 BU has defeated the number one team in the Nation, that also was BC

No comments:

Post a Comment