Sunday, December 6, 2015

Terriers Steal One From Vermont

Despite outshooting Vermont 51-27, last night, BU still needed another third period comeback to over come some pretty horrendous mistakes earlier in the game.

Matt Lane tied the game 3-3 with 3:29 remaining on a onetimer. He was set up by Ahti Oksasen and Jordan Greenway for his sixth goal of the year. Greenway did a great job not rushing the play and just throwing the puck on net. He patiently walked out of the corner and found Lane practically uncovered in the circle. Lane riffled a shot over the shoulder of UVM goalie Mike Santaguida, who had lost his stick in the play. Santaguida also injured and left the game following the goal and did not return.

Just over a minute later, with UVM backup goalie Pat Feeley in the game and the Terriers on a 5:00 power play for the remainder of the game, Brandon Hickey drilled home the game winner from the far side. Brandon Fortunato and Ahti Oksanen both had assists on the goal.

The 5:00 minute major was a strange call. Doyle Somerby was drilled in the head by Brady Shaw, but the play continued. Eventually, the whistle blew because Somerby was slow to get up. The refs then huddled and retroactively called the penalty. I had never seen that before.

In the first period, Vermont sprung out to a 2-0 lead behind some really bad hockey by BU. UVM's first goal came off a four on two rush that saw Conor O'Neil fly by John MacLoud and absolutely toast Connor LaCouvee on a wicked shot off the bottom of the cross bar and in. It was his first goal of the year.

A few minutes later, MacLoud committed a brutal turnover in front of his own goal and Brendan Bradley was there to cash in. It was a similar play that led to UVM's third goal. Charlie McAvoy skated right through his own slot and was stripped of the puck and Anthony Petruzzelli beat LaCouvee five hole to make it 3-2 with less than 10:00 to play in the third.

BU got on the board in first on Ahti Oksanen's eighth goal of the year from Greenway and Lane. Lane tried his spin around shot from the near low circle, hit Greenway's stick in the crease and the puck went to Oksanen back door. That made it 2-1 after BU played some of their worst hockey since the second semester of 2014.

32 seconds into the second period, Danny O'Regan tied the game 2-2 on a rebound. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson and AJ Greer (who was shifted up to the first line for the afternoon) both picked up assists on the goal. It was O'Regan's 5th of the year.

Brandon Fortunato scored on the empty net with .3 seconds left.

Connor LaCouvee made 24 saves on the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment