Friday, February 12, 2016

Greenway, BU Walk Off vs Lowell

Jordan Greenway had BU's best scoring chance in overtime in Monday night's Beanpot final, but sent it just wide and second later, BC won the game. Tonight, he did not miss his chance to give BU sudden victory.
Mike Moran scores on a breakaway in the second period
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
With 30 seconds left, Lowell's Ryan Dmowski took a tough boarding call in the far corner. It sent Doyle Somerby awkwardly into the boards and the big defenseman was slow to get up. BU couldn't convert in the remaining 30 seconds of regulation, but just 29 ticks into overtime, the game was over on a power play goal. Ahti Oksanen setup Matt Grzelcyk for a straight away wrister from the center point. The shot was about letter-high and Greenway was able to get a stick on it and redirect the puck through Lowell goalie Kevin Boyle's legs for his fifth goal of the year. The goal was reviewed for a good while, but after a closer look, Greenway had indeed legally played the puck below the cross bar.

For the better part of two periods, this game looked and felt like a slightly less intense replay of Monday night. Both teams were knocking on the door but just could not break through.

"It's playoff hockey from here on in. It was a low scoring game and every inch of ice was contested for. I thought we had some great chances, we just weren't able to capitalize," said Coach Quinn following the game.

Matt Lane was turned aside on a first period partial breakaway by Boyle, who finished with 28 saves. Later in the second, Oksanen just missed high on a backhanded attempt. Lowell tested Maguire too. He made some really solid saves and it took a really flukey goal to beat him in the second frame, but we will get back to that. He turned away 25 shots in total.

This was a rather physical game, too. Greenway not only scored the game winner, but also dished out some punishment with his body as well. John MacLoud, who was finally back in the lineup, made the biggest hit of the night in the second frame when he cleaned out Ryan McGrath along the boards.

Finally, BU broke through. Charlie McAvoy threaded the needle with a brilliant stretch pass from in his own end, through the neutral zone to Mike Moran at the far blue line. Moran broke in from there and beat Boyle five hole for his third goal of the year. That ended BU's scoreless streak at 107:07 that dated back to the third period of the UMass game last Friday night.

Lowell answered in the third off a very strange goal. Maguire went back to play the puck and set up Somerby for a breakout behind the net. Thing was, Somerby and Maguire were not on the same page and the goalie ended up leaving the puck for Lowell's Ryan Dmowski. Dmowski tried a quick wraparound, but Maguire got back in time to make that save. The rebound however, kicked out into the slot and AJ White banged home the tying goal with 7:29 left.

In the middle of the first period, BU switched up their lines a bit. Ryan Cloonan shifted up to the top line with Danny O'Regan and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson. Oskar Andrén was moved down to the fourth line with Robbie Baillargeon and Bobo Carpenter. It was a move that was long anticipated. Andrén can and probably will be a very good hockey player at BU. Cloonan's style of play fits in a lot more with O'Regan and JFK right now and that was probably the reason for the switch tonight.

The two teams will battle again tomorrow night at Tsongas Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment