Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Comeback is to little to late, Eagles take Pot

Terriers shatter in second frame

Last night BU looked like they where dead and gone, after one of their worst periods of the year. Boston College scored three goals, in the second, and that would prove to be BU's breaking point.

The Terriers struck first though, when BC defenseman Philip Samuelsson tried to make a break out pass. The puck was deflected and landed on Kevin Shattenkirk's stick. Shatt ripped a shot that beat John Muse's glove side to give BU a 1-0 lead.

At the end of the first BU to some costly penalties in which BC had a 5 on 3 advantage to start the second.

BU did manage to kill off the first penalty BU soon after BC scored a very fluky goal. Joe Whitney took a shot that never got of the ice. BU defenseman, Sean Escobedo went down to block the shot and the puck hit his stick and popped up over Millan and in.

Later in the frame Kevin Shattekirk had some real trouble getting it out of the zone. This lead to a costly turnover and Carl Sneep found it and blasted it in the far corner of the net.

With about five minutes left in the period, Chris Kreider scored a highlight real goal, for BC. As Kreider theft the penalty he got a pass from Jimmy Hays. He then made Max Nicastro and Kieran Millan both look really bad and gave BC a 3-1 lead.

The Eagles continued to carry the play, as they went up 4-1 with about 15 minutes left. The Terriers had begun to take chances and Barry Almeida took full advantage of this. He poked the puck past Shattenkirk and came down on a two on one. Almeida opted not to pass it and wristed it mast Millan, glove side. The game looked to be over at this point.

The Eagles look to really add to their lead when they had a power play with about 10 minutes left, but it was BU who shortened the lead. Zach Cohen made a great behind the back pass to David Warsofsky (photo) at the BC blue line. Warsofsky skated in on Muse and made a sweet backhand roof move to make the score 4-2. 

BC defenseman, Tommy Cross was called for cross checking late in the period. The Terrier pulled Millan to give them the 6-4 advantage. The move paid off when Colby Cohen found the puck in the crease and put it in the back of the net. 

It proved to be to little to late for BU as they fell back to below .500 with the loss. Next weekend they play a huge series with Maine which could decided the fate of both teams this season.

Even with the loss Parker was happy with the effort.
“I was real pleased with our team tonight. I was pleased with our goaltending. I was pleased with our overall team defense. I was pleased with our penalty kill. I really thought that every one of my guys kept working hard". 

This was the first loss in a tournament final since 2003, when they lost to UNH 1-0 in overtime in the Hockey East final.

In Other news 
Brandon Yip found the back of the net twice, last night against the St. Louis Blues. 

This time I am bragging!
I picked the exact score for the consolation game, 4-1 Northeastern over Harvard.

No comments:

Post a Comment