Sunday, October 17, 2010

Umass Comes Back and Ties #10 BU

BU goalie Kieran Millan makes
 one of 28 saves, this one
came in the second period
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Tonight was a classic example of two young teams that are still figuring themselves out. In spurts the teams looked like they had played together for four years. In other times it looks as if they just met each other. Both squads looked dead even throughout the game, skating to a 2-2 draw.

BU looked great early and started the scoring in the first. Alex Chiasson, coming off a three game suspension,  made a great play to get the puck out of a scrum in the corner. He then made another great play, this time a pass to freshman Matt Nieto who took a one time wrist shot into the top corner. This was Nieto first collegiate goal. He had one back in the exhibition game against Toronto.

The Terriers were not done in the first. Co Captain, Chris Connolly had the puck at the top of the face off  circle, looking to make a pass to the front of the net. The pass never connected with Connolly's intended receiver and with  Umass goalie, Jeff Teglia  being screened by Joe Pereira, the puck missed everything but the back of the net.

BU lead 2-0 throughout the second period, thanks in large part to great goaltending of Kieran Millan. He looked sharp, keeping the Minutemen in check while they outplayed the Terrier for the latter half of the second period an into the start of the third.

Millan's shutout bid ended in the third when Darren Rowe beat him with a deflected shot from the top of the slot.

Umass would tie the game later in the period after Conor Sheary made a great move to get to the front of the net. His shot left a big rebound for Marc Concannon, who slipped the puck between Millan's legs and into the goal.

After both Umass goals the Terriers looked like they picked their game up. Players were skating harder and passes were a little crisper.

In overtime, BU held a slim advantage in shots, as they did for regulation. The best scoring chance came from Matt Nieto, who was sent on a break-a-way following an Alex Chiasson pass. After Nieto was in the clear he was hacked by Umass defensmen Conor Allen. Nieto's shot missed wide right and Allen was sent to the box with 9 seconds left, for slashing. Neito was not given a well deserved penalty shot, that has been given in overtime before.

Back at the start of the 2007 season, BU played in a tournament at the University of Dartmouth. Late in overtime BU knocked off their own net and St. Lawrence was given a penalty shot for delay of game. SLU scored and won the game.

On the power play BU got one good shot that was deflected away into the corner and the game ended.

Final score BU, 2 Umass, 2

The two teams faceoff next Friday night at the Mullen Center on the Umass campus.

Video Highlights and Box Score from
Game Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment