Friday, November 11, 2011

Merrimack Comback Upends BU

BU's Ben Rosen stops in
the corner after rushing
the puck up ice. MC's Jordan
Heywood plays defense.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Toomey pots OT winner for Mack', BU looses 2nd straight

Tonight, Merrimack accomplished something that has not been done since 2003 and that was beat BU in a Hockey East league game in overtime. Providence was the last team to do it back on February 21st 2003.

Before we get to the overtime goal, there was other scoring to cover. MC got on the board first a little over six minutes into period one. Justin Mansfield put home a loose rebound past BU goalie Kieran Millan who was stuck in an un-athletic position. The play seemed like it was in slow motion as the puck creped its way past Millan before Mansfield was able to score.

Following that goal, Merrimack got themselves into a world of penalty trouble. Karle Stollery was called for interference and seconds later Jordon Heywood was also flagged for interference. While BU was already on a five on three advantage, Merrimack goon, Kyle Bigos cross-checked a BU player out in front (More on Bigos later). Unfortunately, BU was only able to grab one goal out of the two man advantage. Alex Chiasson and Matt Nieto both had chances to score, but it was Garrett Noonan who slammed in a rebound on the near side, past Warrior goalie Joe Cannata.

Garrett Noonan scores BU second goal.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Later in the period BU's fourth line combined to score a nifty goal. Ben Rosen hit freshman Cason Hohmann with a break out pass from deep in the BU zone. Hohmann made a mad rush up the ice and found Assistant Captain Justin Courtnall on the fare side. Courtnall corralled the puck and put a back hander on net which found it’s way past Cannata.

The second period saw no scoring, but both teams did have some chances. BU had a few nice looks on the power play, while MC finally actually put some shots on Millan, who only faced six in the first. Oh yeah, then there was the Bigos incident.

Wade Megan had the puck along the boards facing the glass in the attacking zone. Merrimack punk Kyle Bigos thought it was a fine idea to drill Megan face first into the glass. The refs did not agree and the 6 foot 5 inch Eric Gyba-like defenseman was kicked out of the game. 

The third period was one to forget for the Terriers. Not only was there no flow at all, but there were a tone of penalties. The teams combined for a total of 10 infractions in the third period alone. Out of all of those, one sticks out.

Charlie Coyle was trying to regain his balance and grazed an MC skater. Coyle was called for interference, setting up the Warrior's game tying goal with less than two minutes to go.

Brandon Brodhag ripped a slapper past Millan after Merrimack pulled Cannata giving the Warriors a six on four advantage. The assists went to Heywood and Stollery.

In overtime, Conner Toomey looked to have tipped Stollery's shot past Millan, who I don't thing ever saw the shot in the first place. After winning this game, Merrimack remained the Nation’s lone undefeated team. On the BU side of things, it drops the Terriers 3-4-1 on the year with an away game at Boston College on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment