Thursday, December 8, 2011

BU Skates Past UNH, Sweep Season Series

Chris Connolly captured his 100
career points as a Terrier tonight.
He is the 78th play in BU hockey
history to accomplish the feat, the
frist since Nick Bonino did it in
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
The Wildcats pulled ahead minutes into the first period. A BU skater tried to force a cross ice pass to Wade Megan, the pass was intercepted, taken into the BU zone and Greg Burk roofed a loose rebound, up over the shoulder of BU goalie Kieran Millan.

BU generated great pressure following a beautiful penalty kill in which they never allowed UNH to set up and cleared the puck at every opportunity. After the kill, BU controlled the play for the remainder of the first stanza and Alex Chiasson nicked the post in the closing seconds of the period. But, New Hampshire took the 1-0 lead to the dressing-room.

Less than five minutes into the second, BU finally got on the board. BU wiped out a shorthanded UNH rush and turned it into a quick two on one. Chiasson found Wade Megan and the two broke away from the pack, two on one into the Wildcat zone. Megan dished to Chiasson, who tried to deek De Smith and did, sneaking the puck through the Freshman goalie's legs. Before the puck crossed the line, Megan put the final touches on the goal by chipping it into the net. It was Megan’s 7th goal of the year.

BU continued to dominate the period and about three minutes later took the lead on a great passing play. Sahir Gill found Corey Trivino wide open in the top of slot. Trivino had virtually the entire goal to shoot at, as the pass seemed to confuse De Smith, who never went into the butterfly to attempt to stop the shot. Instead, he stayed standing the whole time and Trivino fired a shot into the center of the net. On the play, Chris Connolly picked up his 100th point as a Terrier.

BU carried the play for the whole period and had many chances to extend their lead, but De Smith made some nice saves. Also in the period, Charlie Coyle drilled the post while on the power play.

The Wildcats had the upper hand in shots in the third, but it was BU's "defense first" mentality that held UNH scoreless in the final two frames. Millan did make one very impressive save while UNH was on the power play. BU's penalty kill was the story of this game, though. The Terriers blanked the UNH power play, which went 0-5 on the man advantage. BU was one for two on the PP.

Milan was a tad shaky in the first. He was giving up large rebounds and that’s exactly how UNH took the 1-0 lead. In the final two period though, he was simply stellar in shutting down the Wildcat attack in the final 40:00 minutes.

This marks the first time since the 1997 season in which BU has swept the season series with New Hampshire. 

BU will have Friday off before heading up to Maine to take on the Black Bears in Orono on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment