Saturday, February 16, 2013

Better Lucky Than Good

Fortunate call leads to tie
Ahit Oksanen's goal with 12:52
left was the reason BU was able
to come away with a point.
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Last night, BU should have lost their third straight game if not for an unbelievably fortuitous call late in the third period that negated a Maine goal. Devin Shore blasted a wrist shot over Matt O'Connor's shoulder on the power play with 5:19 that would have given Maine 4-3 lead. The play went to review and it was determined that Maine's Ryan Lomberg had interfered with O'Connor. I watched the replay 50 times and I have no idea why it was not a goal. Lomberg's skated made little contact with O'Connor's pad and was outside the crease. BU definitely got lucky on this one.

The Terriers did jump out to a 2-0 lead in the first after dominating the opening minutes of the contest. Matt Nieto slammed home a centering fead from Evan Rodrigues and ten seconds later, Wade Megan scored on a spin around shot in the slot. Cason Hohmann caused a turnover behind the Maine net and found Megan in between the circles. Megan caught the pass on his back hand and had to spin around and fire a low wrist shot that found it's way inside the post and past Martin Ouellette right pad.

Maine cut the lead in half with under two minutes left in the frame. Steven Swavely converted on a wide open net following a leg save by O'Connor on Lomberg. It was Sawavely's first of two and Maine's first of three power play goals.

1:12 into the second, Swavely potted his second on the man advantage with the assists going to Shore and Joey Diamond. Less than five minutes later, Diamond torched O'Connor on a wrist shot from the high slot through a screen. Diamond picked up a loose puck along the side boards, skated to the top of the circle before pump faking once to create a shooting lane. From their he found the top corner to put Maine up 3-2.

BU fought back in the third with a power play goal of their own. Nieto hit Ahit Oksanen with a pass at the near point. Oksanen walked to the middle before releasing a wrist shot that made it's through traffic and past Ouellette, who never saw it.

Maine controlled the play in overtime, with BU getting a few good chances in the closing minutes. The two teams will play each other again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment