Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What?!?!

Matt Nieto had two goals last night
in BU's 5-2 win over Merrimack
(Photo by Matt Dresens)
Last night I did not go to the Merrimack game because I had my own hockey commitment. When I looked and saw the score was 3-0 after the first period I had to go back and re-look at it to make sure it was right. In no way did I see last night's 5-2 win over Merrimack coming. It was a happy surprise that definitely makes me feel much better about this BU team.

BU is now in control of it's own destiny if they want home ice in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. The Terriers can clinch 6th or better with a win friday night against Vermont. To secure the fourth seed (home ice) without help from other teams, they must win their remaining four games; two home games vs Vermont and a home and home series vs Northeastern. BU does not control their own destiny for the top three and would need help from other teams to get there. That being said, they are only two points behind first place Boston College. In fact, the top 6 teams in Hockey East are separated by just two points.

In the Pairwise, BU is now in a four way tie for 17th with St. Lawrence, Robert Morris and Alaska Fairbanks. Using the Pairwise customizer over at College Hockey News, I figured out that if BU sweeps Vermont they will be in 14th. Now, that is based only on BU's results and does not take into consideration the results of any other games being played. A Vermont sweep would put BU at 22 and a split would have the Terriers in 18th.

I will not be able to attend this Friday's game vs BU because I have my first playoff game at Bentley's home rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment