Sunday, November 21, 2010

Freshman Pave The Way To Victory Lane

Matt Nieto picked up his second
goal of the season in the
 second period.It was
 the first BU goal.
(Photo By Matt Dresens) 
One night after UNH had broken up BU's unbeaten streak, the Terriers turned the tables on the Wildcats and did the same thing to them, thanks in large part to four second period goals.

It was New Hampshire who drew first blood, though. In the final minute of the first period, Paul Thompson, who had two goals last night, fed Brett Kostolansky at the point. The freshman wasted no time and he reared back and beat BU netminder, Grant Rollheiser, five hole. This was Kostolansky's first collegiate goal and it came on the power play.

BU answered right back in the opening minute of the second period. Alex Chiasson and Corey Trivino both took good whacks at the puck, before Matt Nieto swooped in and slammed it past UNH goalie Matt DiGirolamo, tying the game.

The Wildcats were way outplaying the Terriers in the middle part of the period. BU also got a little lucky. Stevie Moses was able to split the Terrier defense and go in on a semi breakaway. Rollie made the initial save and in the process kicked off the goal from its moorings. Moses was able to score on the rebound, but the play was reviewed and the ref saw what 6063 fans all saw, that the net was off.

The luck ran out shortly after. A basically identical play occurred except for the net not being kick off.  Phil DeSimone was stopped by and outstretched Rollheiser. Paul Thomson collected the rebound and deposited it into the back of the net.

Over the next ten minutes, BU took over the game. Ryan Santana made a heads up pass to a wide open Adam Clendening at the red line. Clendening took it and went all the way to the top of the face off circle, where he ripped a wrist shot over the shoulder of DiGirolamo and into the top corner. This was also Clendening's first collegiate goal.

BU would tack on another just under five minute later. UNH was on a power play that backfired. The Wildcats lost control of the puck near their blue line. Trivino was able to pick up the bouncing puck and find Chiasson wide open out in the slot. Chiasson one-timed the pass into the upper twine, giving BU a 3-2 lead.

With just 17 second left in the period, Sahir Gill picked up a loose puck at center ice. He burned two UNH defenders and skated right in on DiGirolamo and stuffed it between the goalie's legs, upping the lead to 4-2, the final score.

There was no scoring the third period, but thankfully BU did not just sit on the lead like they had in the Icebreaker tournament, against Wisconsin. BU pressed New Hampshire throughout the third frame. Cycling the puck and taking smart shots that produced rebounds, allowed the clock to keep running. A power play with about 7:30 to go had a lot of good chances, but no one was there to put home rebounds.

At 17:31 of the third period, Sean Escobedo picked up his second five minute major of the weekend. He slugged a UNH skater direcly in the face. He will be suspended for next Saturday's game against Brown.

You would never know it but Grant Rollheiser did have to make 41 saves, his career high, and for that he was crowned the first "Star of the Game". Rollie moved to 3-0-0 on the season after picking up the win.

Game Photos
Box Score
Video Highlights

Bad News
Captain, Chris Connolly will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. This is according to the Boston Hockey Blog.

In Other News
Kevin Shattenkirk, again found the score sheet, tonight. No goals, but he racked up two assists in the Aves 4-3 shootout win over the Dallas Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment