Saturday, November 20, 2010

UNH Powers Through BU, Unbeaten Streak Is Over

David Warsofsky's two goals went for not
as the Terrier's were out played in
Durum New Hampshire tonight.
(Photo By Matt Dresens)
Thompson's two goals leads the way for the Wildcats

The end of The Streak was near. We all knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time. There are now no undefeated teams in College Hockey. With the win UNH now holds the longest unbeaten streak at 10 games, tying BU's mark.

The game started off well for the Terriers. Charlie Coyle won a battle in the corner and then found Sahir Gill out in front. Gill's shot was stopped, but it produced a rebound that David Warsofsky found and roofed on UNH goalie Matt DiGirolamo, giving BU a 1-0 lead.

The lead was short lived, as New Hampshire's Phil DeSimone made a nice back hand pass from behind the net to the front of the goal. The puck slid across the crease and Millan had no idea where it was. Paul Thomson picked up the rebound and shot it into the crowd out in front. The shot somehow found the back of the net, tying the game.

UNH went up by one with exactly eight minutes gone in the first period. BU had some real trouble getting the puck out of their own end. A turnover by Wade Meagan lead to the goal. John Henrion picked up the puck and all in one motion, spun to the front of the goal and took a shot, beating Millan five hole.

With just under five minutes left in the first frame, BU's Sean Escobedo took a five minute major for hitting from behind. The call came just 15 seconds after Garret Noonnan had been whistled for a bogus tripping call. It gave UNH a 5 on 3 for 1:46. BU kept the Wildcats at bay for the rest of the period and killed off the remaining 12 seconds in the second period.

The start of the second had a furious pace to it. UNH had a 2 on 1 which Millan stopped. The play went the other way and the Terriers skated out of the zone and developed a 4 on 2. Corey Trivino hit the cross bar and the play went back into the BU end. Damon Kemp took a shot that bounced off the glass and pinballed around in the crease before Paul Thompson again put in the rebound, for his second goal of the game. The play went to review for a long time, but the goal stood.

Shortly after, Nick Sorkin scored his first Collegiate goal, beating Millan far on the glove side. The puck hit the post and then went in and he [Millan] was kind of hung out to dry. 

BU got one back on their own 5 on 3. Warsofsky picked up his second goal of the game on a bomb of a slap shot. Max Nicastro made a one touch pass to Warsofsky who one-timed it into the top corner, over DiGirolamo's shoulder. 

At 16:40 of the second, Trivino had a golden opportunity to cut the lead to one. DiGirolamo was down but Trivino's shot missed the mark over the net, and the two goal margin would stand.

With 1:15 remaining, Thompson found DeSimone, who jammed home the pass through Millan's legs. The goal came on the power play and it marked the most goals BU has given up all season. 

The third period saw no goals, but it did have a ton of New Hampshire power plays. Adam Clendening racked up two penalties in a span of about 30 seconds. He got out of the box from a slashing call and then was flagged for an elbowing minor after only meer seconds from stepping out of the box. Noonan also had a tough game penalty-wise picking up two of his own. 

Millan did actually play pretty well, despite giving up 5 goals. He stopped 44 shots, his best on the season. 

The Terriers and Wildcats go at it again tomorrow night at Agganis, Game time 7:00 pm

Box Score
Video Highlights or should I call them Lowlights? (coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment