Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Snakebitten Terriers Stymied By UConn

BU threw everything including the kitchen sink, dishwasher and probably even the microwave at the UConn goal tonight.... They managed to score just twice and one came in garbage time. Husky goalie Rob Nichols turned aside 36 shots including 14 in the third period.

There were chances... Oh, were there chances. The Terriers had several power plays in the third period that looked promising, but nothing could find the back of the net. Matt Lane found Ahti Oksanen on great feed from behind the net. Ahti was all alone in front and slammed a shot right into Nichols with no rebound. That was one example of many that didn't end up in the UConn net.

Rebounds were there, though. Oksanen had another chance in the third that pinball around the crease, but was somehow cleared after three Terriers failed to throw it in the net. There was another chance that went through the crease all together on a delayed penally and Danny O'Regan opened the second frame by ringing the crossbar.

It was one of those games that nothing was going to go right.

BU controlled the play early and the theme of not finishing started in the first five minutes. Frustration set in right away, as well. UConn took advantage of their first power play opportunity of the night right after BU had extended zone time. Tage Thompson knocked in a rebound off a point shot from Spencer Nass.

In the closing minute of the period, BU capitalized on a power play of their own. Jakob Forsbaka Karlsson fed Charlie McAvoy in the far circle. From there, McAvoy made a brilliant pass through traffic to find Danny O'Regan backdoor, who blasted home his first of the year with just 33 seconds left in the period.  

BU's defense broke down in the second period. There were long stretches of time that they could just not get the puck out their own end. It lead directly to both UConn goals in the second period.

After getting hemmed in, Chase Phelps took an interference call in the offensive zone. Evan Richardson was set up by both Shawn Pauly and Patrick Kirtland for a shot at the far dot. He snuck it over Conor LaCouvee's shoulder off the bar and in. It was a well placed shot.

The real breakdown came a bit later.

Joey Ferriss was left all alone and when I saw all alone, I mean literally no one noticed he was on the ice. Max Kalter had the puck, broke away from a Terrier and him Ferriss walked in untouched two on none from basically the dot on in. One quick pass from Kalter to Ferriss was all it took. LaCouvee was completely hung out to dry and couldn't make the diving save.

Right after BU failed to capitalize on a late third period power play, Thompson put the game completely away for the Huskies with not one, but two power play goals.

With less than a minute left, Chase Phelps finally put home a BU goal.

LaCouvee finished with 19 saves in his second game of the year. The game was in no way his fault at all. He made some key saves in the second period when his defense was doing nothing to help him out.

Overall it was extremely frustrating, but they did not deserve to win. Not even close. They played poor in the D zone five on five and the penally kill was was equally as brutal. UConn went 4-7 on the man advantage tonight. Discipline was also another obvious issue, but you can't expect to win and allow four power play goals.

The offense needs to start to click. Not counting Phelps' garbage time goal, BU scored one (1) five on five goal in two games vs UConn. That's just not good enough.

Next weekend the team takes on Merrimack Friday night at Lawler, before hosting Denver at home Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment