Monday, November 2, 2009

Split Decision

Game One- at the Tsongas Arena Lowell mass
There was not much to talk about in the first period.
In the second the Terriers took the lead when freshman Alex Chaisson stole the puck in the neutral zone, crossed the blue line and ripped a shot into the top right corner. Soon after, the River Hawks tied the game when Paul Worthington scored off a missed shot that hit the ever so springy back boards of the Tsongas Arena. The puck then  found his stick with nothing but net in front of him. Four minutes later on a Lowell power play, the Terriers Chris Connolly and David Warsofsky (photo) had a two on one brake.  Connolly made a pass to Warsofsky who then beat River Hawks goalie Carter Hutton's blocker side. Before the end of the period the River hawks would tie the game and then go ahead to take a 3-2 lead into the final frame.
Just 1:49 seconds into the third the Terriers tie the game up once again. This time it was Zach Cohen who took what seemed to be a weak wrist shot that that hit the shoulder of Carter Hutton and landed in the back of the net. Terriers would regain the lead on another goal by David Warsofsky. Once again the resilient River Hawks tied the game. This time was rather an odd play. The original shot By Nick Schaus made it all the way past Millain and hit the post. Off that rebound Matt Ferreira passed it back to Schaus who then scored. The game was tied and for the first time since the national championship game, the Terriers where going to overtime.
Early in the overtime hard working Joe Perira  drew a tripping call. This put the Terriers on the power play and set the stage for Colby Cohen. Kevin Shattenkirk had the puck at the point and passed it over to a wide open Colby Cohen. He wasted no time taking a one timer that Carter Hutton never saw. The reason Hutton didn't see the shot, was because David Warsofsky was screening Hutton. This allowed him to find the back of the net.

“Good screen by Dave, good pass by ‘Schatty’ and a little luck on the shot, Good job by the power play unit to get out there and work it. I mean, a lot of times in overtime you get too excited, but you know we settled it down and we won the puck battles and ultimately led to a shot with a good screen.”-Colby Cohen 
Game two- Agganis Arena Boston Mass
This time it was the River Hawks that got on the board first. It was Michael Scheu on the power play that jump stared the River Hawks. The Best action of the game came in the second period when Vinny Saponari scored his first goal of the season. He scored off a David Warsofsky shot that hit the end boards  and bounced out in front where Wade Megen also got denied. Off the Megen rebound Saponari (photo) then sdcored to tie the game at one all. Just 43 seconds later the tie the game off a Chris Auger goal. At 13:49 of the second Lowell made the score 3-1 when Ben Holmstrom fond some room over the glove of Kieran Millan.
“It was just a power play,We work it around like we try to. It went from up top to the flank and [Kory] Falite got a shot off. It came off the goalie’s chest and landed in front. I just tried to get it over his net, and it snuck over his glove.”- Ben Holmstrom
The Terriers would make things worth watching late in the second. On the power play, Alex Chiasson found the puck in the corner and then through it off the boards to D-man Kevin Shattenkirk. Captain Kevin then wound up and took a bomb that that beat Lowell goalie Nevin Hamilton.
Click here for a box score

No comments:

Post a Comment